Thursday, March 15, 2012

Learning about the feral, or wild, children really opened my eyes and made me realize how much the people who raise impact our entire lives. It was so interesting to see what a person would be like without human contact or without any nuture whatsoever. The many feral children that we saw acted as wild animals. When we are young, we pick of small behavioral techniques from our parents in order to act in a socially acceptable way as we age. We are constantly held and touch by are parents, but we don't realize what impact that truly has on us as we grow. When we experience touch sensations as infants, it stimulates parts of our brains that allows for human interaction later in life. The feral children weren't able to experience any human nuture, they were alone, guessing at life and completely helpless. We grow from being instinctive to conscious and aware of the things around us. Without that step of having human interaction, the feral children never got to the point of awareness.
I can see how I unconsciously pick up social habits from my parents. I constantly receive the remark, "you are your mother/father's daughter". Whenever I behave in a way that reflects how they act, I know it's from constantly watching them as an infant.

5 comments:

  1. You're right about people behaving the way they see others behave like you did when you were an infant. I was the same and I am slowly realizing parts of myself that are exact reflections of my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true how you said they weren't able to have any human interaction so they were kind of "guessing" at life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week in class made me really appreciate the way my parents nourished me. Without them, I would not be able to normally interact in society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting to realize that our environment affects us as much as it does. I also am called "my mother/father's daughter" because I act just like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so sad to see that those children were so deprived and given so little a chance to survive in our world.

    ReplyDelete