Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Actually 'watching' tv was a very interesting experiment. When I really paid attention I was able to see all the different angles and effects they use in media. It's so odd how we never realize these kinds of things when we watch tv at least an hour a day. That just goes to show how media truly affects us. It draws us in and we don't even take a minutes stop and think about it. As I watched someone else watching tv, I noticed that their facial expression remained stable for a long period of time. As we watch tv we are so focused on what is going on inside that tv, but our brains aren't really thinking by themselves. Our brains aren't in use as we watch tv, because the sound coming from that program basically tells you what to think. That's why, when we mute tv, our brains become much more active and aware. We start to become aware of the things around us, things outside of that show (like the effects the program uses).
We also watched a movie about how the media consumes children at a very early age. These children's minds are still growing, and when media takes a hold of their growing minds, that information sticks with them. Children influence what their parents buy, so if they start begging for something they saw on tv because it looked cool, some parents feel like they must buy it. Products are becoming such an important factor in children's lives that it's unhealthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment