I will admit that I probably would have never started community service if I didn't have to complete hours freshman year. Now that I have done it, I am so glad that I was forced into it. I have had multiple valuable experiences doing community service. I remember sophomore year when I volunteered at a soup kitchen in Chicago. Going into it I thought it might be boring, but once we got started I didn't want to leave. Just being able to pass out food to people in need was one of the most amazing feelings. With the gratitude on their faces, it just felt nice knowing that I helped fill their stomachs. Another remarkable experience doing community service recently was when my friends and I volunteered at Feed My Starving Children. We were indirectly helping all the starving children in other countries, but it was great to know that they were getting nourishment from the food we were packing. By the end of the 4 hour day we had packed meals for 90 kids everyday for a year. Just hearing those numbers gave me this feeling inside, it's the feeling I love about community service. You help the world in a small way but it feels good to know you did something. If every person participated in some kind of community service, the world could transform into a much better place.
I beleive sociological mindfulness is so important in society. Each person, whether they realize it or not, affects society in some way. I agree with Schwalbe when he says that not enough people pay attention to the world around them. People tend to just get by in life, but if someone becomes sociological mindful life tends to be much more meaningful. Full interaction with the people you are surrounded by is important. People learn from each other; others help us grow. Everyone has an impact on someone else whether they realize it or not.
Alyssa, while I may not have volunteered at the type of shelters you have, I have volunteered at quite a few nursing homes. The best part about all of them was the joy that other students and I brought to their faces. I agree, if everybody participated in community service, the world really would be a much better place.
ReplyDelete-Patrick
Alyssa, I like the way you think about community service now. I do agree that community service is the way to make the world better and more united. When you volunteer you feel good inside, and whoever got your help feels even better. Imagine if everyone volunteered...
ReplyDelete